THE BEST ECO-FRIENDLY HOT TUBS: CONSIDER A SALT WATER SYSTEM
A large, seven-seat hot tub holds around 450 gallons of water. That might seem like a lot of water, but when you consider the fact that an average person sends around 100 gallons per day down their drains as a result of household activities, it’s really not.
A home hot tub holds about four days worth of water. However, because that water is sanitized and run through filters repeatedly, it can last quite a while before it needs to be drained and replaced. But if you’re ecologically conscious or live in a drought-prone area, you may still feel a few pangs of guilt when draining your hot tub every few months, even though you’ve put that water to good use. Fortunately, the best eco-friendly hot tubs today include water care systems that allow you to conserve more water and spend more time enjoying your hot tub. Here’s how to find the best one for you.
THE BEST ECO-FRIENDLY HOT TUB IS THE PERFECT SIZE
The first step in buying an environmentally friendly hot tub is to find one sized perfectly for your needs. Your home spa will be part of your daily routine, so it should be comfortable and have plenty of space for those who use it. Considering the following points will help you choose a hot tub that’s perfect for you and your family and conserves both water and energy:
- How will you use your spa? If you live alone and the main purpose of your hot tub is to relax your muscles after a long run or workout, then much of your hot tub use will be solo. A two-seat hot tub or three-seat hot tub will provide you with the therapeutic benefits of warm water immersion and extra seats for company.
- The importance of jet configurations. In many hot tubs, different seats offer different jet configurations. If you intend to use your spa to relieve pain or soreness then you may need to consider extra seats or a lounger to have a full range of hot tub hydrotherapy benefits.
- Family benefits. A spa is great for creating quality time with your family. Four-seat hot tubs are perfect for a family of three, while families of four may want to consider a six-seat model.
Choosing a hot tub that is the correct size is just one way to enjoy all the benefits of a home spa while being eco-conscious. To take resourcefulness to the next level, choose a spa that’s not only the perfect size, but also energy efficient.
THE BEST ECO-FRIENDLY HOT TUBS SAVE ENERGY
High-quality hot tubs that are designed to reduce energy use and energy costs include a number of energy-efficient features, such as:
- Dedicated circulation pumps that continuously circulate the hot water and use less energy than main pumps. Your spa water remains warm and it’s filtered by a smaller pump than the one that gives the jets their force.
- A pump shroud that helps facilitate the transfer of heat produced by the pump operating into the water.
- Perimeter insulation that keeps the cabinet warm but allows heat from the heater and pump to help warm the water.
- Total foam insulation, layered in different densities, that fills gaps and prevents hot air leaks, which can cool the spa and force the heater to run more often.
- An insulated hot tub cover that prevents heat from escaping from the water and keeps your hot tub warm and ready to use.
Energy efficiency not only benefits the environment but also your wallet. Keeping your hot tub water warm around the clock uses less energy than heating it up immediately after refilling, and that translates to lower utility bills.
THE BEST ECO-FRIENDLY HOT TUBS EXTEND WATER LIFE AND ARE SIMPLER TO MAINTAIN
Hot tubs with traditional water care systems require draining and refilling a few times a year. But spas with eco-friendly salt water systems extend water life for up to a year.
The new FreshWater® Salt System*, available on 2019 Highlife® Collection and Limelight® Collection spas from Hot Spring® , is the simplest and most effective hot tub salt water chlorine generator. It will keep water fresh and sanitary for a full year with normal use before it needs to be drained and refilled. Heavy use of the spa can make an early water replacement necessary. This system not only saves on water use, but also extends on energy efficiency. It takes much more energy to heat new water to the perfect temperature than to keep warm water heated.
The easy-to-maintain FreshWater® Salt System—the best salt water system for home spas—is factory integrated and titanium cartridge-based. Chlorine is generated at a steady rate from salts contained in the cartridge. Each cartridge lasts four months, and is easily replaced directly from your spa’s bar top in seconds. Simpler water care with the FreshWater® Salt System means spending less time maintaining your spa and more time enjoying it. The low levels of chlorine will also reduce the level of chemicals and chemical odors in your hot tub.
Finally, the water in your spa can be reused as gray water to irrigate your landscaping or wash your car, if that’s allowed in your area. But you have to let the chemicals dissipate first. You shouldn’t use the water if the chlorine count is higher than 0.1 part per million (ppm) or if the water is too acidic (below a pH of 6.5) or too alkaline (with a pH of 7.8). Turning the system off and letting the chlorine dissipate from your spa over a few days should bring the chlorine count down to a safe level.
The ® Salt System combined with the usual dedication to energy efficiency you find in all Hot Spring spas makes for the very best eco-friendly hot tubs manufactured.
Hot Spring is dedicated to providing the Absolute Best Hot Tub Ownership Experience® to customers. To learn more about Hot Spring spas and the many benefits of the ® Salt System, download a brochure.
*The FreshWater® Salt System cannot be used on Hot Spring® hot tubs manufactured prior to 2019.